Thursday, March 06, 2008

A. S. A. Newark

I originally posted a squib about A. S. A. Newark on 23 July 2007. A couple of days ago I was contacted by Penny Spokes, a neighbour of Arthur Newark during her childhood, who was happy to find that he had not been forgotten. Penny has very kindly penned a little tribute to Mr. Newark which you'll find below. First, a little background...

Arthur Stephen A. Newark was the artist of perhaps the most ignored and forgotten arts: the puzzle page. He was the artist of 'Flipper's Puzzling Puzzles' feature in Jack and Jill in 1959-61, 'Willie Wizz and his Merry Puzzles' in Harold Hare's Own Paper in 1960 and during the 1960s drew 'Playhour's Puzzle Page'.

He was born in Edmonton, in north London, on 29 May 1906 and lived for many years in Eastcote in the borough of Hillingdon in north-west London. From the 1950s until the 1970s he lived at 398 Field End Road, Eastcote. He died on 1975 in Dover, perhaps retiring to the coast in his final years.

FISH, TEA AND TALL STORIES
by Penny Spokes

Mr Newark had always been there. Birthday presents and Christmas presents every year. Always a box of Weekend chocolates and both Playhour and Jack and Jill annuals. Often a box of watercolours.

Let me explain the subject line. His passion in life was fish, both tropical and pond. His house occupies a corner plot and the garden was divided into 3 distinct areas. The area by the front door was typical lawn with a path. The side garden was mostly waterfall and the back was entirely a fish pond!

It must have been in the early '60s that he started to excavate and created a series of interconnecting ponds, islands, bridges and falls. I suspect it probably wasn't in the 'best possible taste' but for a 6 year old it was magical. He had intended to create a summer house along the connecting sides of our gardens, but as I was forever climbing through the fence to visit him, he never completed the project so I could climb through a glassless opening.

He also made me 2 small ponds in my own garden and kept me supplied with fish over a number of years.

His dining room was his tropical fish area. It was a dingy room with just the lights from the tanks and the colour of the fish to cheer it up. As I recall, there wasn't a stick of furniture in here.

Tea and tall stories..... When not drawing, Mr Newark seemed to spend all his time in the kitchen drinking mugs of tea! He smoked and drank mug after mug.

If I saw he was there through the hole in the wall, it was OK to visit, if not, I kept away. I used to ask him question after question and I know now that if he didn't know the answer, he would make one up!! He would tell me stories of his sons but sadly I don't recall any. They were too old to be of any interest I suspect!

In the hallway was a gloomy painting he said was by Landseer! He said he would leave it to me in his will. I never received it and I often wondered who really painted it!

He must have been a very patient man as I could be a very demanding child with a very enquiring mind. He always had a cheery smile for me.

Physically, he resembled a shorter and stockier Frank Muir. Swept back grey hair and a thin moustache. Very smiley eyes, glasses and a kind face. At home he was fairly scruffy but on the days he went 'to town', he was immaculate. He always wore a cravat and sports jacket and looked quite the artist!

I have no idea what happened to Mrs Newark! There was certainly no feminine touch in the house, it was a gloomy and bare place.

He eventually retired to Dover to live with his son, Chris I think and I never saw him again. His son did phone to tell us he had died though so we did know what happened to him. I only recently looked on Google Earth to see if there is any trace of the ponds left but I think not!

(* Willie Wizz © Look and Learn Magazine Ltd.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS
Click on the above pic to visit our sister site Bear Alley Books